Wednesday, January 30, 2013

What the heck is going on with the PC(USA)?

Most people who follow this blog know that I'm a Presbyterian, a PC(USA) Presbyterian.  I do my share of complaining about the denomination and our crazy systems, but, on the whole, I think it best fits with my theology and sense of ecclesial polity (church politics).  So, I'm most comfortable with this denomination and think it has a lot going for it.
PC(USA) Headquarters
That being said, imagine my surprise when I read this blog post that details the proposed changes by the Board of Pensions in the next year.  I'll let you read it for yourself, but basically the BoP is talking about penalizing smaller churches and pastors who make less than 100K.  If this proposed change happened today it would have disastrous effects on our household since only one of us is employed.  This proposal is unfair, backward thinking and not in keeping with the ethics espoused by the denomination.

I think it's safe to say that every mainline denomination is struggling with finances and membership and they have been fighting those battles for many years with little success.  The struggle can be summed up as the difficulty letting go of what we have always done and trying new things.  In the last years I have served the church in a variety of roles and it is my belief that the denomination can only be rejuvenated with small churches, NCD's and innovative worshiping communities.  The proposed actions by the BoP do exactly the opposite and favor the powers that be-what we've always done.

Fear based decision making is always inferior to that based on a faith in the future.  While I disagree with Michael Jenkins' conclusions in his blog, I think the premise that society wants religion which is relevant is right on target.  There is a need for the church and we can be socially relevant, but getting to that point requires that we step out on faith, let go of some of our age-old assumptions and be willing to work.  There are enough challenges to the church of the 21st century and those who serve her to create even more. obstacles.

No comments:

Post a Comment