Monday, September 17, 2012

Back on the journey

I thought I was done with this blog.  I thought that I had a call that was going to last.  I thought I found my niche.  I was wrong.

After a year working in the far northwest side community of South Bend my contract was not renewed.  Both of the churches I was working with thought that I did good work and it was mission/ministry that spoke to their mission, but funding that work was a different issue.  It seems like the administrative hurdles worked against continuing with that ministry.  I have found that God somehow works through the Presbyterian call process so I have to believe that God is working in this process.  God does not want to use me to extend what I have done in South Bend.

Three other congregations have expressed an interest in what I might do with them.  I interviewed with two and the third is dealing with administrative stuff.  I want to get back in the church and I felt most called to the work in the Elkhart church.  This situation is certainly unorthodox as I am starting at 1/4 time and working my way into what I hope will become a called position, but it's not the way things are usually done. 

My journey continues to be unorthodox as well-I'm now an approved substitute teacher in MI and I'll start picking up sub gigs in the near future.  I never thought I would be substitute teaching, but we have bills to pay.  It should be exciting and I look forward to this new adventure.

I haven't blogged on this blog for over a year because I thought the journey was complete, but that isn't to be.  My plan is to continue this journey blog complete with stories of work that I continue in South Bend and the inclusion of my new ventures in the school system and at various churches.

Finally, I'm not getting a motorcycle.  Some sadness, but I know Fran will be pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment