Saturday, June 26, 2010

how long, o Lord?

I can really relate to those Israelites and how they bitched to Moses. How long, God? I know you're there and I can feel your presence, but I just wish you would speak up. I don't feel lead or pushed, just sort of wandering in the wilderness.

I tried to put a cross up in my office and was advised to remove it....government agency, don't want to prosthletize (sp) clients. I understand, but I still don't feel right about it. Didn't Jesus say something about denying him on earth and being denied in heaven? I don't know, but I'm still feeling weird about it. I also had to inform/ask for permission to fill pulpits. I did that to adhere to the policies and procedures, but if I'm denied or questioned I have decided that I'm going to quit.

One thing that has come of this time has been to affirm my desire to return to church work. I don't really want to do associate work and I don't really want to travel too awfully far, but I feel called to that. I suppose it's that sense of call, the idea that God could be right around the corner, that keeps me wandering. I suppose it was that sense that kept the Israelites wandering.

The change in occupation has certainly caused me to rethink my spiritual disciplines. I continue with daily prayer and following the lectionary, but those practices are not as fulfilling as they once were. I really miss my Bible study and my friend Richard. Both those activities pushed my faith. With that in mind, it seems that I need to be more intentional about my disciplines.

No comments:

Post a Comment