Friday, May 7, 2010

On the road

Sunday, May 2 I ended my tenure at Bethlehem Pres. No, I wasn't tossed out or asked to leave which would be more in keeping with the tradition of that church. I left to be with my wife who took a call in Niles, Michigan. I left without a call and without a lot of hope for employment in the pastorate. I hope that this blog serves as an outlet for my frustration and, perhaps, allows me to see God somewhere in this process and even to hear God's call.

Tuesday I left Wheeling, WV and my phone crapped out. I had no idea where in Niles I was going. Fran had a house, but I put the directions on my iPhone to be accessed when I needed them. Ordinarily a good idea, this didn't serve me well. OK, so I knew how to get to Niles, but that was it. When I crossed over into Indiana I stopped at the first rest stop and wanted to use the phone, but the dog wouldn't have any of that. The dog was freaking out and had to be with me 24/7 so I get out of the car with the dog and run into this guy; you know, kind of sketchy with long hair, tats and bad teeth who was walking his dog. I started talking and we bonded around metal bands and Ted Nugent so he let me use his phone. OK, I count this as a God moment. I couldn't go in the rest stop with the wild dog and I just ran into this guy.

Well, I called my parents 'cause theirs was the only number I knew by memory and they were.....not home. I left a message and went on to Niles. I got to the church and was lucky enough to find the secretary still there. Carol was able to give me directions and I finally made it to my new home.

Thursday I called the EP to talk about open pulpits and he basically said they were filled up in South west MI. Thanks for calling. I did get on the pulpit supply list so that was something, but a call in the presbytery seems out of the question. Bummer. I do have slightly greater hopes for Wabash Valley Presbytery because they have some open pulpits in the area.

Today I am in a quest to find the best pizza in Niles. Input and opinions are welcome.

So, where is God in all this? In the midst of boxes unpacked and still full I know the divine is lurking. God works on God's own schedule though, and I pray for patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment