Friday, July 8, 2011

My Way

What is it about us humans, well, me at least, that makes us so quick to want to take over? We convince ourselves that we can handle things and that we are in control when we know that it is truly God who is in charge.

I had the privilege in the last couple weeks to improve my relationship with God. I realized that I let that relationship slip and that those spiritual disciplines in which I once engaged had gone by the wayside. It is so easy to let things like prayer and meditation to slip away; I guess because they don't seem as if they're "doing anything". Unfortunately, it usually takes something drastic to draw us back to what's important.

That is exactly what happened to me yesterday.  I have been so busy with my stuff at Geneva Center that I lost track of those disciplines.  In spite of being in a retreat/conference center, I let things go and stress dominated.  Everything came to a head yesterday with my interview by the COM of Wabash Valley and some financial issues.  These "crises" were enough to ruin my day emotionally, mentally and spiritually, but they also pointed me back to what I had been missing.  I am so glad I had the opportunity to call my friend Chuck who put things in perspective.

Last night was an opportunity to renew that relationship.  Gathered in the woods around the campfire it is impossible not to feel God's presence.  I wonder if God didn't step away for a bit when I tried to play guitar, though.  What I do know is that it's times and places like this that serve to renew my relationship with my God.

When we can quiet our minds enough to realize our place in the grand scheme of things is when we experience God.  When we are able to take on humility (not humiliation) we recognize that it's not all about us.  When we can smile at our arrogant plan to fix, manage and control the universe God is able to make use of us.  Paradoxically, our victory is found in surrender: surrender of our will to God's and acceptance of everything.  We trust in God's working out of God's will in all circumstances.

It will be wonderful to get home later today.  I miss my family and my dog and I had a rotten day yesterday.  In spite of all of that, today begins with a new perspective and openness to God's presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment